Friday, July 2, 2010

Promise me..


Yeah... promises.

So when I was down seein' my dad, we were sittin' at the Folk Festival. And somehow we got talkin' about stuff. He knows my heart and these days I can say to him whatever I want. And I told him that because I've never had biological children of my own... I still feel the need to carry on his "legacy" and tell the story of the old drunk sleepin' beside the river with absolutely nothing. He was mean and drunk and probably deserved all he got. But he was also a whole lot more that it's taking me a lifetime to know.

And he should be proud... he done good. He might not be able to read or write, but he has more honor, knowledge and skills than I'll ever begin to know.

But he might have been known to fib a time or two when it comes to the size of the deer he just killed. *grin* And I counted this year, he has 32 pairs of deer antlers hung around the walls of his garage, and many more yet to be mounted. I always ask him if he doesn't think he has enough but he just says "i just like that kind of thing". And then he grins. And every one of them was his dinner.

So I told him I was gonna write a book about him some day.

And as he bowed his head, I saw a tear.

And he shyly said "people likes to read about them kinds of things".

Amen. And Lord, please guide my way 'cuz I don't have a clue where or how to start but I'm gonna do it anyway. wish me luck.

2 comments:

ROLLERWRITER said...

What a great retirement project. If you ever want a ghost writer or collaborater...
Be well.

Harbor Hon said...

I think that's an excellent idea. Just keep asking him questions about his life and it'll come to you. Yes, we like your Daddy's stories. xxoo